|September 12, 2007 - Whoops.|
The instrument lights haven't been working in the car and I've been driving it at night more than I ever expected. So I pulled the instrument cover off to see if someone might have cut the wires - and the 16-year-old plastic snapped. It's a common problem, the cover is held in place with three very strong clips. But all three of them went at once. I just threw out another one with the same problem. I guess I'll have to spring for a functioning cover, or find another fastening technique. Hmm.
I also started working on the VICS system. This controls a quartet of butterflies in the intake manifold, changing the volume of the manifold to improve low-end torque. It works amazingly well. But of course, the VICS actuator has a broken vacuum fitting. I could either try to glue it in, or modify a later VTCS actuator by shortening the shaft. And that's what I'm going to do, because I'd rather use a welder than glue!